Tonight, I died and went to BBQ Heaven.

When my husband, C.J., and I moved to Bixby a couple of years ago, we weren't aware of all the great places to eat in this suburb of Tulsa. If it wasn't along Memorial (the main stretch of road that runs straight through Bixby and Tulsa), then we didn't know about it. Luckily for us, a kid in a pig costume and teenager holding a small sign on the corner of the road yesterday, led us to try this restaurant- Jake's Place, which surprisingly has been in business less than a year.

Located on the corner of Armstrong and Breckenridge, we recognized both the waitresses as we walked in, a mom and daughter, who were members of the gym CJ used to personal train at. Then we recognized the sauce bottles on our table. The memories started flooding back to this past fall at the Blues and BBQ Festival held every year here (http://www.bixbyrotarybbq.com). For $5, you can sample all the BBQ you want from the vendors who enter into the competition for Best BBQ and I had voted them #1 for best flavor and best sauces! Why hadn't we come here before?!?!?! I could kick myself! Everyone is the restaurant was serenaded by a guitar playing prodigy- a 13 year old boy playing blues music and hits of Santana on his electric guitars (yes, plural "guitars"). Nearly all the tables were full and it's no wonder why...

DOWN TO BUSINESS

I ordered an appetizer of homemade, hand cut, beer battered portobello mushrooms which comes with homemade ranch dressing ($6). These 'shrooms are Phenomenal- with a capital P! Think they'd give me the recipe for the batter? I'll be dreaming about these tonight and thinking about the time we'll meet again.

For my main dish, I ordered a sliced brisket sandwich with a side of cheesy garlic mashed potatoes ($7). Let me tell you, the meat was so tender and juicy it broke and slid off my fork several times. It was flavored so deliciously, it didn't need sauce. My sister might kill me for saying this because she's a manager at a local chain bbq restaurant, but hands down, this brisket is the best I've ever had. About my side: Now...I love potatoes and I love cheese and I've had them many different ways, but I don't think I've ever had them sooo good at a restaurant. Have you ever tasted a dish so good, it sent a chill all over your body? And you catch yourself eating each bite slowly because you want to savor each spoonful? Yea... I was enjoying my plate so much, I didn't even think to ask CJ for a bite of his pulled pork sandwich and fries (also $7) and although I did give him a bite of my brisket, I almost didn't because I wanted it all to myself. He asked our waitress if they put crack in their food because he quickly became addicted. =)
Because everything I'd eaten up to this point was so...so...so so good, and against the pleadings of my full stomach, I couldn't pass up dessert. So I ordered a small glass filled with cheese cake, strawberry topping, graham crackers and whipped cream. Every bite was savored. What a great way to top off a great day. Earlier I watched a foreign film, my first, called Heartbreaker and I loved it! Two great finds in one day! I also watched Julie & Julia for the first time today which makes me feel dumb for writing another blog about food, but oh well, right? It's my blog and I'll write about whatever I want!!! Anyone who reads this would be a fool for not eating at Jake's Place regularly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Daughter, twin sister, wife, mother, aunt (not in any particular order). Born in Aurora, Colorado. Grew up in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Live in Bixby, Oklahoma. Married since December 2006. We have one son named Gabriel Seth, born May 18, 2010. I work at home and I'm loving it! Have a degree in Sign Language Interpreting and worked as a graphic designer for 4.5 years.

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "